The purposes of processing personal data
The Provincial Archives of Åland only processes personal data in order to comply with a legal obligation, to exercise official authority and, in some cases, to perform tasks carried out in the purpose of public interest, or with consent. The Provincial Archives of Åland only collects and processes personal data that is necessary for the stated purpose of the register being kept.
We process personal data in order to:
- provide services, e.g. when You request archival material or books to read in our Reading Room or at home,
- process written requests and applications for permission to reproduce material;
- send out invoices,
- meet the rights and the obligations of the parties;
- develop and analyze the services we provide,
- prevent and investigate abuse.
What is the nature of the data that is being processed?
The Provincial Archives of Åland only collects and processes personal data relevant to the stated purposes of the records that are kept. The nature and the amount of personal data processed depends on which of our services and channels You use.
The personal data processed by the Provincial Archives of Åland may include the following:
- Contact information, such as name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. Social security numbers are only processed when required by tax legislation and other legislation.
- Personal information obtained when You visit the archives or order materials from the archives.
- Banking and other financial information needed to make a payment or invoice.
- Personal information needed for employment, or when You apply for work at the Provincial Archives of Åland.
- Personal information needed when the Provincial Archives of Åland enters into an agreement with You.
- Personal information obtained in connection with investigating and recording the rights holders for materials in the Provincial Archives of Åland.
Video surveillance, which may also qualify as personal data, is used in order to protect the premises and the archival collections of the Provincial Archives of Åland.
How long is personal data stored for?
The Provincial Archives of Åland only stores personal data as long as the data is needed for the given purpose, or as long as the law requires.
The Provincial Archives of Åland processes personal data for various purposes. The retention period of the personal data depends on the given purpose for processing of the data, and the obligations under law.
Transfer of personal data
In order to carry out tasks in the public interest, The Provincial Archives of Åland can make publicly available archival material and metadata which include personal data. The personal data that's included in the archive descriptions is mainly available to researchers and other interested parties in the Reading Room and on the online resources of the Provincial Archives of Åland, insofar as this is possible according to law and the conditions stated in the deposit or donation agreement.
Otherwise, personal data can only be disclosed if the requirements in accordance with the Åland Act on the Openness of Public Records (ÅFS 1977:72) are met.
You have the right to request access to Your personal information, and You have the right to have Your personal information rectified or completed. In some cases, You also have the right to object to the processing of Your personal information for a particular use. In some circumstances, You have the right to ask for Your personal data to be erased, if for example the data is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected. However, there may be legal obligations or reasons of public interest that prevent the Provincial Archives of Åland from deleting Your personal data.
According to Article 13 and 14 of the regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council (General Data Protection Regulation), the controller shall provide the data subject with the following information:
- the name and contact details of the controller,
- information about the data protection officer, where applicable,
- the purpose of the processing for which the personal data are intended as well as the legal basis for the processing,
- a description of the categories of personal data concerned,
- the recipients to whom personal data is usually disclosed, and whether data is transmitted to states outside the European Union or the European Economic Area, and
- a description of the principles of data protection.
In accordance with Article 14, point 5 b, on the processing of personal data for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purpose, the Provincial Archives of Åland complies by making its register descriptions publicly available.
The register descriptions for the Provincial Archives of Åland can be found under the Attachments (only in Swedish).